The Department of Computational Media [https://www.soe.ucsc.edu/departments/computational-media] at the University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC) invites applications for an ongoing pool of part-time Lecturers who could be called upon as needed to teach. Course topics include, but are not limited to, all areas related to the design, development, production, narrative, graphic, and audio elements of computational media, including games and playable media (this includes, but is not limited to: artificial intelligence for games, interactive storytelling, game studies, interactive experience design, social media, graphics, game engines, computer game design, board game design, game programming, game production, audio production for games, team-based game projects, 3D modeling, animation, character art, environment art, and writing for games). Outstanding candidates with experience to teach courses in one or more of the above areas are encouraged to apply. The campus is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through their teaching and other assigned duties. Appointments are temporary positions with end dates and generally made one quarter at a time, based on the changing curricular needs of the department.
Commensurate with qualifications and experience and the particular courses the Lecturer is appointed to teach. Compensation for Summer Session courses may vary from courses taught during the academic year.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS (revised)
- B.S. / B.A. / B.F.A. (or equivalent foreign degree) and ten years of industry experience relevant to the advertised course topics at the time of application; M.S. / M.A. / M.F.A. (or equivalent foreign degree) and five years of industry experience relevant to the advertised course topics at the time of application; or Ph.D. (or equivalent foreign degree) in a field relevant to the advertised course topics at the time of application.
- Teaching experience demonstrated by college level teaching experience, TA experience, research presentations and/or professional development training seminars.
Appointments are contingent on the hiring unit’s instructional need and the availability of funding. Appointments are typically made during one or more quarters of the regular academic year (fall, winter, and spring quarters). Appointments may also be made during Summer Session.
Applications are accepted via the UCSC Academic Recruit online system. All documents and materials must be submitted as PDFs.
APPLY AT https://recruit.ucsc.edu/apply/JPF00594
Please refer to Position # JPF00594-19P in all correspondence.
- Letter of application that briefly summarizes your qualifications and interest in the position (required)
- Curriculum vitae (required)
- Teaching statement that clearly outlines your teaching experience and teaching interests (required)
- Statement that addresses past or potential contributions to diversity through teaching (required). Guidelines on diversity statements can be viewed at (https://senate.ucsc.edu/committees/caad-committee-on-affirmative-action-and-diversity/DivStateGuidelines.pdf)
- Up to three sets of teaching evaluations (optional)
- Up to three samples of course materials (optional)
Applications must include three confidential letters of recommendation*. Note that your references, or dossier service, will submit their confidential letters directly to the UC Recruit System.
*All letters will be treated as confidential per University of California policy and California state law. For any reference letter provided via a third party (i.e., dossier service, career center), direct the author to UCSC’s confidentiality statement at http://apo.ucsc.edu/confstm.htm.
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted beginning August 1, 2018 through June 1, 2020. This recruitment is valid for initial appointments beginning fall quarter 2018 through spring quarter 2021. Initial appointments made after this period must be made through other recruitments.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees. Inquiries regarding the University’s equal employment opportunity policies may be directed to the Office for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at the University of California, Santa Cruz, CA 95064 or by phone at (831) 459-2686.
Under Federal law, the University of California may employ only individuals who are legally able to work in the United States as established by providing documents as specified in the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Certain UCSC positions funded by federal contracts or sub-contracts require the selected candidate to pass an E-Verify check (see https://www.uscis.gov/e-verify). More information is available at the APO website (see https://apo.ucsc.edu/policy/capm/104.000%20.html) or call (831) 459-4300.
UCSC is a smoke & tobacco-free campus.
If you need accommodation due to a disability, please contact the Academic Personnel Office at email@example.com (831) 459-4300.
VISIT THE APO WEB SITE AT http://apo.ucsc.edu
Cover Letter - Letter of application that briefly summarizes your qualifications and interest in the position
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Teaching - Teaching statement that clearly outlines your teaching experience and teaching interests
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing past and/or potential contributions to diversity through teaching. Guidelines on diversity statements can be viewed at https://senate.ucsc.edu/committees/caad-committee-on-affirmative-action-and-diversity/DivStateGuidelines.pdf)
Course evaluations (set 1 of 3) (Optional)
Course evaluations (set 2 of 3) (Optional)
Course evaluations (set 3 of 3) (Optional)
Sample course materials (Optional)
Sample course material (Optional)
Sample course materials (Optional)
- 3 letters of reference required
How to apply
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information