Open February 22nd, 2019 through Tuesday, Dec 1, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
If you apply to this recruitment by December 1st, 2020, you will have until January 4th, 2021 to complete your application.
The Rocky Intertidal Lab (www.pacificrockyintertidal.org) under the Ecology and Evolutionary Biology Department at the University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC) invites applications for an ongoing pool of marine ecology Field Technicians. Under the direction of Professor Peter Raimondi, the selected candidates will participate in a large-scale rocky intertidal monitoring program along the west coast, focusing on questions in marine ecology, conservation of nearshore species, and oceanographic drivers of ecological processes.
The general duties of the position are to provide logistical planning and preparation of supplies for local and remote field missions; survey rocky intertidal communities; fabricate, install, and maintain field equipment for sampling and field experiments; refine sampling design and protocols as needed; collect and enter data and perform quality control and basic analysis of data; manage resources for on-going research projects; operate vehicles; and contribute to technical reports and presentations. Field Technicians must consistently be self-motivated, follow verbal and written instructions, follow protocols accurately, employ strong interpersonal, communication, and decision-making skills, and successfully work independently and as part of a diverse team of students, researchers, and professionals from UCSC as well as other universities and agencies.
Applicants with any of the following areas of expertise are strongly encouraged to apply: experience with logistical planning and task coordination of field missions; experience with laboratory or field research in intertidal ecosystems along the California Coast; experience organizing people and resources for field missions; knowledge of California intertidal ecosystems, including identification of invertebrates and algae; experience with the preparation and maintenance of field and lab instrumentation; mechanical and construction skills (e.g., using power tools); experience supervising research expeditions at remote field sites; experience with discussing and conveying scientific research findings to the public; experience with preparing grant proposals, technical reports, or scientific presentations; and/or experience with administering First Aid and CPR.
The campus is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidates must possess (or readily obtain) a valid license to drive in the state of California.
- Selected candidates must be able to present valid identity documents as required by Vandenberg Air Force Base in order to access field sites located on Vandenberg Air Force Base.
- Selected candidates must have the ability to perform the essential physical job functions, which require the field technicians to travel throughout the West Coast on multiple overnight field missions (up to 2 weeks each month, including some weekends), which often involve camping and working in the early morning hours and in adverse weather conditions; hike in difficult terrain while carrying heavy loads; spend considerable time bending and kneeling in the field; and carry heavy field equipment (approximately 50 pounds) to and from field sites (up to 2 miles) with or without accommodation.
Minimum annual salary of $39,500 (pro-rated based on percent time), commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- A bachelor’s degree (or foreign equivalent degree) in Ecology, Marine Biology, Ocean Sciences, Marine Sciences, or a related field at the time of application.
- A minimum of six months field experience in a marine environment.
- Experience with data entry and data quality assurance /data quality control (QA/QC) using Windows, Microsoft Office Suite, and data-analysis programs.
Short-term appointments based on the hiring unit’s needs, beginning April 1, 2019. Appointments may be made up to 100%. Initial appointments average six months to one year in duration, with the possibility of reappointment. Should the hiring unit propose reappointment; a review to assess performance will be conducted. Reappointment is also contingent upon the availability of funding.
Applications are accepted via the UCSC Academic Recruit online system. All documents and materials must be submitted as PDFs.
APPLY AT https://recruit.ucsc.edu/apply/JPF00690
Please refer to Position # JPF00690-19P in all correspondence.
- Letter of application that briefly summarizes your qualifications and interest in the position (required)
- Curriculum vitae that includes the names and contact information for a minimum of three professional references. The hiring unit will contact the references of those applicants who are under serious consideration (required)
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted through December 1, 2020.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees. Inquiries regarding the University’s equal employment opportunity policies may be directed to the Office for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at the University of California, Santa Cruz, CA 95064 or by phone at (831) 459-2686.
Under Federal law, the University of California may employ only individuals who are legally able to work in the United States as established by providing documents as specified in the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Certain UCSC positions funded by federal contracts or sub-contracts require the selected candidate to pass an E-Verify check (see https://www.uscis.gov/e-verify). More information is available at the APO website (see https://apo.ucsc.edu/policy/capm/104.000%20.html) or call (831) 459-4300.
UCSC is a smoke & tobacco-free campus.
If you need accommodation due to a disability, please contact the Academic Personnel Office at email@example.com (831) 459-4300.
VISIT THE APO WEB SITE AT http://apo.ucsc.edu
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V., which includes the names and contact information for a minimum of three professional references. The hiring unit will contact the references of those applicants who are under serious consideration
Cover Letter - Letter of application that briefly summarizes your qualifications and interest in the position