Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Metadata Services department at the University Library of the University of California, Santa Cruz invites applications for an Electronic Resources Librarian who will work under the direction of the head of Metadata Services & Acquisitions. The Metadata Services department encompasses a host of collection-related work, including electronic resources (ER), acquisitions, cataloging and metadata, and physical processing. We support the core mission of the library by enabling access to materials that support scholarly research and pedagogy.
We seek a motivated individual to take a leadership role in the management of the library’s electronic resources. The Electronic Resources Librarian will develop, recommend, and implement an updated management strategy. This will include purchasing, activation, and record maintenance for the entire complex life cycles for serials, e-books, datasets, and streaming video. The Electronic Resources Librarian will implement and administer tools, features, and programs that enhance and improve electronic resource access and usability including the utilization of electronic resource management functions in Alma, the cloud-based library services platform. The incoming Electronic Resources Librarian will work collaboratively with library staff, vendors, and campus ITS staff to ensure convenient, seamless, and uninterrupted access to electronic resources. The position requires that the incumbent display excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
The Electronic Resources Librarian will have the following duties:
- Manage electronic resource-related information in Alma, Primo Central Index, EZ-Proxy, SFX, and other ER-related applications including loading records in batch.
- Serve as the technical expert for Alma related ER processes, Primo Central Index, and collaborate in the management of each.
- Serve as the library liaison with the California Digital Library (CDL) for subscription and access-related issues and determine the local subscription status of individual titles as well as packages, as they relate to consortial purchases handled by CDL.
- Collaborate with various library units to troubleshoot electronic resource-related issues and to update Alma, Primo VE, and other related applications.
- Participate in the support and troubleshooting of issues reported by patrons on accessing library electronic resources and services.
- Contribute to the assessment and evaluation of electronic resources and their delivery systems.
- Monitor developments in the e-publishing industry, trends in the management and provision of library information resources and related issues and provide technical reviews of services as needed.
- Work collaboratively with UCSC Information Technology Service and vendors/service providers and follow procedures to ensure application security.
- Serve on department, library, university, and UC systemwide committees.
- Ensure the accurate recording and maintenance of all administrative data for the Library’s electronic resources.
- Generate usage reports for electronic resources and contribute to a variety of data analysis projects, utilizing Alma features such as SUSHI harvesting and Alma Analytics as well as platform usage reports.
Applicants with any of the following qualifications or professional experience are strongly encouraged to apply: experience supervising or training in the use of new systems and software; experience reading and synthesizing technical documentation and explore solutions independently; experience analyzing, implementing and adapting to evolving technologies; experience anticipating user needs and seeking ways of providing satisfactory solutions; experience participating in professional and scholarly activities, such as conferences and presentations, in order to maintain a current understanding of trends and research in the area of electronic resource management; experience working in a consortial environment; strong commitment to diversity, equity, respect, and inclusion; experience with detail-oriented work, including the ability to collect, analyze, manipulate, and provide a meaningful interpretation of data using relational databases, spreadsheets, and other tools; experiencing balancing multiple assignments and projects; and/or experience interacting collaboratively and working effectively with cross-organizational teams.
The successful candidate will join and serve as a member of the Librarians Association of the University of California (LAUC). Research, publication, and/or service to the University and profession are expected for continuing advancement. More information can be found at https://lauc.ucop.edu/
Assistant or Associate Librarian (temporary)
$55,014 - $84,260, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- An ALA-accredited MLS or MLIS degree (or equivalent foreign degree); or Master’s degree (or equivalent foreign degree) in a relevant field, including but not limited to Computer Science or Information Management. Degree must be completed at the time of application.
- Experience supporting the management and acquisition of electronic resources in an academic or research library.
- Experience with electronic resource management, using systems such as Alma, the Primo Central Index, and/or Primo VE.
As soon as possible after the initial review of applications.
DURATION OF POSITION
This appointment will be full-time for two years. Temporary appointments have a specified date of termination of two years or less in accordance with Article 18 Temporary Appointees of the UC-AFT labor contract. In accordance with policy, the selected candidate will undergo the Librarian Peer Review process where his/her performance will be reviewed and assessed. If the selected candidate is later appointed to a permanent position with potential career status, time spent in this temporary status will be considered when determining assignment to rank and salary point.
Applications are accepted via the UCSC Academic Recruit online system. All documents and materials must be submitted as PDFs.
APPLY AT https://recruit.ucsc.edu/apply/JPF00742
Please refer to Position # JPF00742-20T in all correspondence.
- Letter of application that briefly summarizes your qualifications and interest in the position (required)
- Curriculum vitae (required)
- Statement that addresses past or potential contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion through teaching (required) See UCSC guidelines on statements
Applicants must provide the names and contact information of their references (a minimum of three are required and a maximum of five will be accepted). The hiring unit will request confidential letters* from the references of those applicants who are under serious consideration. Note that your references, or dossier service, will submit their confidential letters directly to the UC Recruit System.
*All letters will be treated as confidential per University of California policy and California state law. For any reference letter provided via a third party (i.e., dossier service, career center), direct the author to UCSC’s confidentiality statement.
Full consideration will be given to applications completed by September 16, 2019. Applications received after this date will be considered only if the position has not been filled.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees. Inquiries regarding the University’s equal employment opportunity policies may be directed to the Office for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at the University of California, Santa Cruz, CA 95064 or by phone at (831) 459-2686.
Under Federal law, the University of California may employ only individuals who are legally able to work in the United States as established by providing documents as specified in the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Certain UCSC positions funded by federal contracts or sub-contracts require the selected candidate to pass an E-Verify check (see https://www.uscis.gov/e-verify). More information is available at the APO website (see https://apo.ucsc.edu/policy/capm/104.000%20.html) or call (831) 459-4300.
UCSC is a smoke & tobacco-free campus.
If you need accommodation due to a disability, please contact the Academic Personnel Office at firstname.lastname@example.org (831) 459-4300.
VISIT THE APO WEB SITE AT http://apo.ucsc.edu
Cover Letter - Letter of application that briefly summarizes your qualifications and interest in the position
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement that addresses past or potential contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion. See UCSC guidelines on statements
- 3-5 required (contact information only)